Porta San Pietro Lucca

This post is also available in: Italian

Porta San Pietro Lucca is the oldest in the city built between 1556 and 1566

by designer Alessandro Resta

It is the oldest of the six existing in Lucca and allowed the passage through

the City Walls in the center

Porta San Pietro is made up of three opening where two lateral ones were built

later time

Above the central door is a shield with the coat of arms San Pietroand the Inscreption “Libertas”

Motto by Lucca

Two niches on the sides with two lions that come out where the chain for the bridge

once ran drawbridge

Today the central nave is used by cars and the two lateral ones a pedestrian passage

illuminated in the evening is very suggestive

The headquarters of Licchesi in the wolrd are located in the upper loggia

Porta San Pietro Lucca